Saturday, October 18, 2008

Bigger is Better....

The earnings season projects are now slowly starting to come in.  Last quarter was pretty tiring because I did most of my files from my laptop and the screen (14-inch widescreen) was not sufficient for my needs.  So when I shopped for a new PC some time back, one of my prerequisites was something that came with a fairly good-sized LCD screen.  So when i chanced upon a sweet-deal with an Acer PC  that came with a 19-inch widescreen, i didn't let the opportunity pass by.   And boy, did i make the right choice.  I purchased it when it was near closing time and during the slow season to make the salesguy throw in other goodies as well.  :P

Watching movies has been more fun with the 19-inch widescreen (and the sound wasn't bad either because it came with a 5.1 channel sound card).  But i was able to saw real benefits of a bigger screen when I started work.  I'm able to open multiple windows at the same time (this is particularly useful for research-heavy files) and I'm able to display the ExpressScribe windows, the IM windows,  and the Word window at (120% size because i'm near-sighted) all in one screen.

I'm now setting my sights on a 22-incher (or bigger) the next time i do an upgrade.  Other benefits of the LCD screen is that it takes up much less space, gives off less heat, does not strain my eyes, and it consumes way way less energy.  

LCDs monitors are a still big investment, especially  by Philippine minimum-wage earner standards, but I'd have to say that it's is well worth the bucks that you shell out, and the  pleasure that you'll get from staring at its beauty is a plus that can't be ignored.  :)


No comments: